Tuesday, November 27, 2012

RUN BKK? No, Run away from BKK. Run Far Away!


While here in Phichit, we were fortunate enough to meet the nicest couple: Daniel and Pat. Daniel is the only other American here and we were pretty easy to spot, so he befriended us. Daniel is from Georgia and moved to Thailand with friends about 4 years ago. He met Pat a couple days after and they have been together ever since! They have been so kind to us and extrememly helpful. Not only have they taken us out to eat at the best places Phichit has to offer, but they’ve given us great traveling advice as well. The best part about this friendship was a wedding invitation! So we went off to Bangkok for their Traditional Thai Wedding. It was absolutely beautiful! It was in a hotel and an experience I feel so blessed to be apart of. It was so fun being there and experience something so different. However, it also made me grateful and comforted to know that when that day comes for me, it will be so different. The feeling that the temple brings can never be replaced my any other ceremony. Even if it does have Thai Monks :) Here are some pictures of the wedding day!

We started out overdressed...so we had to go change. Oops. 


Us with the happy couple: Daniel and Pat!


A Thai wedding tradition! We held those flowers all the way up the stairs as a "gate." Daniel had to approach each gate and to try and pass through he had to answer our question correctly..and give us money :) At first we didn't quite understand it and so Natalie and I decided our question would be, "Name all 50 states!" We then realized it had to be about Pat, so we changed our question to, "What's your favorite thing about Pat?" Much better. 

The rest of Bangkok was rather disappointing. My entire time in Thailand I have seen people wearing these shirts that say RUN BKK ,like the RUN DMC shirts, and I really wanted one. I bought one in Chiang Mai, but after being in Bangkok I’m tempted to cross out the RUN BKK and write, “RUN away from BKK.” The city was huge, dirty, and people were not nice there. The nice and smiling Thai people do not live in Bangkok. I’m feeling upset just writing this. To sum it up Bangkok offers a nice Zoo and an average Mexican restaurant. Other than that, run far away. Hide yo money, hide yo bags, cuz they gettin everyone up in the BKK.

Ok, so maybe the Mexican was better than average. I can't even seem to look up from my food for a picture :)


Me at the zoo. That thing was going to eat me. It just came out of the water attacked me with it's tongue! 

When we got back to the school, we did a little photo shoot in our Thai dresses. Can't let a good dress go to waste now can you?


So that's Bangkok for you. The good, the bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment